The Group was founded in 1909 by Sunious Smith with meetings being run from his home in Keymer Road. At that time the Group had a Brighton designation before becoming known as the 1st Burgess Hill Scout Group.
As the ideas of General Baden-Powell grew so did the Group with several sites over the years being used. A stable in Grove Road, a disused hut used for grinding clay, which still stands in Portland Road. The Group continued through both World Wars with valuable service being given guarding bridges, railway stations and acting as messengers. The formation of a newsletter kept the link with those serving overseas. We moved to our present site in 1975 and continue to be a successful Scout Group with over 100 young people in the Group at present.
Scouting is the largest youth movement in the world with over 26 million members, having been started by Robert Baden-Powell on his return from Africa where he served as an army scout. Beaver Scouts became official members of the movement in 1986.
Scouting is a voluntary organisation run by people who freely give their time to organise activities for young people, with all Leaders undergoing training and receiving ongoing support not only from the Scout Movement but other youth organisations as well.
The Group celebrated its 100th Birthday in 2009 with a family camp at Blacklands Farm attended by over 180 youngsters, Leaders, parents and siblings.